Monday, July 30, 2012

Nonprofit founder, grandma, Christian, never been in trouble



I was 50 years old when I got my first tattoo. Since then, I have had four more.

It wasn’t something that I would have ever thought of doing, but once I received the first (as a birthday gift), I really thought it was a way to express those things most important in my life. I love my tattoos.

This particular tattoo on my foot is special to me because I founded a nonprofit organization to help refugees and underdeveloped communities in East Africa. It reminds me to continually walk as Jesus would have me to walk – forward with faith, with strength, with purpose and to follow His mission.

I have never been in trouble. I was a good student, wife and the mother of two summa cum laude students; both professionals. My husband and I have been married for 39 years, dated for six and had children six years after marriage.

We go to Africa twice a year to serve the underserved and overlooked in the world.

Utembeye na imani – means “walk by faith” in Swahili.

Tattoos help define who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment