Thursday, July 26, 2012

Father, lover, gentle giant, artist.



I will be 30 years old in a couple months. I am the father of the most precious 2-year-old girl in the world named Bettie. I am the husband of the most beautiful woman I could ever lay my eyes on. Not everyone knows me, but those who do know me as such. At 6 and a half feet tall with and athletic 230-pound build, I have been told I can be intimidating. In fact, a few weeks ago one of the neighbor kids told my wife, "Bettie's dad is scary."

This is the same kid who now runs up to my car every day when I get home from work to borrow my skateboard.

The point is once he got to know me, he found out I wasn't all that scary. In fact my wife, should be the one you're afraid of. I'm just a push-over. I have a laid-back demeanor and a kind and gentle heart. I shed tears at Disney movies. The only fights I have ever been in were fights for other people, standing up for my friends.

I have been called a hoodlum, a punk, even white trash. Maybe it's my big frame, or baseball cap, or maybe it's my tattoos. That's right, I am tattooed. But I want you all to know something: You can be afraid or intimidated. You can judge me and call me a white trash. You can tell me I am not welcome in your home, and you don't have to hire me. It won't bother me, because at the end of the day my wife will not be afraid to embrace me, my daughter will still call me daddy, I will make my own home, and the job? I plan on opening my own business in the coming months. So keep your job, I am a tattoo artist.

I am tattooed.
But it's OK if your not.

1 comment:

  1. you've just reminded me of my dad.He is a civil engineer with a big heart in a big body;I'm actually 6"5' 240 pounds myself so I kinda identify with him .I do not want to generalize too much but I think bigger folks are somewhat gentler and less aggressive than shorties(nothing against them though).

    ReplyDelete