Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Daughter, Humanitarian, Photographer, Traveler



I am a driven, bright, optimistic woman, dedicated to making positive shifts in the world with my time here. I graduated from college on a full-ride academic scholarship with a degree in International Development and Spanish. I have ran my own successful photography business since I was 18 years old, combining it with other jobs to remain completely debt-free to this day.

I have multiple tattoos -- two are my favorite. One is a Swahili verse, running the length of my upper back with the words "Uwe nguvu na juhudi," meaning "Be strong and courageous." This tattoo was inspired by my work in a refugee camp in Uganda -- the reminder that despite the obstacles I am bound to face in humanitarian work, to always work for the betterment of others.

The second is morse code script that wraps around my left rib cage. It's a tattoo that my mother also has. The tattoo means "Oceans of Love." This very meaningful phrase is a term of endearment that my mother and I have used with each other since I was little, meaning our love for each other is bigger than all of the water in the ocean. When she was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer when I was 17, I wanted us to share something even more symbolic that we would always wear.

As I get older and my education continues to grow, my desire to get more tattoos grows along with it. I will continue to do good things in the world. I will continue to get tattoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment