Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Mom, book nerd, lover of art, survivor.


I am a mom and a happily married wife. I stay up late reading classic literature and drinking tea. I have been successfully employed as an award-winning journalist for more than a decade, after graduating summa cum laude with degrees in journalism and German/international media. I have traveled around the world for my job, writing about humanitarian efforts in Haiti and Africa, as well as natural disasters, such as Hurricane Katrina.

I was a cheerleader, sorority girl and straight-A student my entire life. I'm on the board of directors for my parents' nonprofit that I helped start, which provides health care, clean water and mosquito nets to refugees in Uganda. We have literally saved tens of thousands of lives. We are all tattooed. In fact, I got my first tattoo, a matching one with my mom, grandma and aunt, on my mom's 50th birthday. 

I believe we are on Earth to inspire others, to create (which is why I love art so much and married a tattoo artist), to authentically be ourselves and to encourage others to authentically be themselves. I got a thorn bird tattoo on my arm after I lost 70 percent of my blood and nearly died in childbirth, but through the true grace of God, I am here. The legend of the thorn bird is that is creates the most beautiful song ever sung while it is on its deathbed. My daughter is my most beautiful song. And the art on my arm is a daily reminder that even in our darkest hours, we can create light. My bird is my symbol not that I almost died, but that I lived. 

I have tattoos.


1 comment: